Behind the scenes of any great artist is a great manager working to create a great brand. This course explores the role and importance of an artist manager, what they do, and how they impact the career of the artist and their brand. The course begins with the basics: why an artist needs a manager, the keys to finding the right partner, and a typical management contract. From there, you’ll cover the details of planning an artist’s career, money management, and what to do when things go wrong. You’ll also examine the principles of leadership dynamics and motivation in order to focus and empower current and potential managers.
Upon successful completion of this course, aspiring managers will have the tools to embark on managing artists’ careers, and artists will better understand the critical importance of choosing the right manager, what they do, and how it will impact their potential and career. This course is designed to help those interested in a career in artist management, current managers attempting to improve and grow their business, self-managed artists who want to take control of their careers, record label owners looking to improve their effectiveness in dealing with their artist managers, and anyone passionate about music seeking to gain entrée into the business.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Implement key methods for success in management, whether you are interested in managing other artists or are a self-managed artist
- Create innovative, values-based strategic plans to increase the chances of success for the artists with whom you work
- Understand the important contractual and financial documents required in artist management
- Identify artists at various stages of their careers who are good candidates for your management venture
- Present concrete strategies to your artists in order to help accelerate their growth
- Utilize your strategic core document—which you will create in the course—to guide you to success in the management field